Check in with Matt and Jay on their site at CareyandCoffey.com.
|Subscribe to The Frontstretch Newsletter|
Frontstretch Staff · Wednesday August 31, 2011
It’s one of the sport’s most popular new traditions: drivers picking out their own “favorite song” to come out to an introduction in front of 150,000 screaming fans at Bristol. But this year’s Thunder Valley starting grid was missing a few perfect additions to the list; find out the song pairings that were left off their P.A. feed in the latest edition of the Frontstretch Top Ten.
Note: The requests may be fake, but the song titles on this list? They’re real.
10. For Matt Kenseth: “Mr. Roboto” by Styx.
9. For David Ragan: “It’s Hot In Here” by Nelly (played from inside the driver’s seat, quietly, with UPS executives writing up pink slips in the background).
8. For Carl Edwards: “A Horse Is A Horse, Of Course, Of Course” by Mr. Ed. Sung by the singing trio of a talking horse, the AFLAC Duck, and suspiciously out of tune by Brad Keselowski.
7. For Scott Speed: “Man! I Feel Like A Woman” by Sheryl Crow. Only valid if Speed enters the track with freshly painted, NASCAR-themed visible toenails.
6. For Joey Logano: “If I Had A Hammer” by Peter, Paul, And Mary. During the line, “I’d Hammer Out A Warning” calmly raises a sign to the camera that reads, “Don’t mess with me, Home Depot.”
5. For Terry Labonte: “Slow Ride… Take It Easy” by Foghat (but performed by a cover band from the local senior housing complex).
4. For Kyle Busch: “Nice Guys Finish Last” by Green Day.
3. For Jeff Gordon: “Cats In The Cradle” by Harry Chapin… for how a career has come full circle.
2. For Tony Stewart: “2nd Sucks” by a Day To Remember. (With the special verse… “When I lose on my own team / I knock down cameras, yell, and scream…”)
1. For Jimmie Johnson And Kurt Busch: “You’re My Best Friend” by Queen. (As the two walk out as far apart from each other as possible.)
©2000 - 2008 Frontstretch Staff and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!
Sometimes, these are funny, and sometimes, they’re totally lame. But #8 is both rude and insulting, especially since you are making a derogatory remark about the looks of one driver, and you inserted the name of the rudest, most vile, snot-nosed punk on the track as the one singing the song! I expect better from a site like Frontstretch.com. Complete thumbs down on this one!
We were making fun of the aw-shucks, leave it to beaver style attitude… not his looks! Sorry it was interpreted that way :( Remember, these are all in good fun.
Then why the “Mr. Ed” theme, and not the “Leave It To Beaver” Theme? No misinterpretation there! I know these are supposed to be “in good fun”, but I found this one to be insulting toward Carl, while trying to make that phoney punk in the Blue-Deuce look smart.
I thought they were great! Some people just look for an opportunity to feel insulted and get their feelings hurt.
I took the one about Carl just as the staff meant it. With his great sense of humor I’m sure Carl would also. Is so bad that the whole thing of Drivers and their songs are not allowed on TV any more .They were/are always so much fun.
I agree with Ken. These are dumb. What about “I can’t Drive 55” for Kyle Busch. Now that would be funny and true since he got his licence revoked for his 120+ speeding ticket. When I raced in the old Nascar Winston Racing Weekly series, I was told if I lost my street licence I lost my Nascar licence. Funny how that applies to local short tracks but not to Kyle Busch. Weird to me!!
“the rudest, most vile, snot-nosed punk on the track” says the rudest, most vile person who posts on this website. Get a sense of humor and/or a life.
To Esther, I do have a sense of humour, and considering I’m a Canadian,, and we are known for not having a sense of humour, that says a lot! And as far as you calling me rude, what are you? It seems that everyone around here is entitled to an opinion but me! So, I’ll tell you what, Esther, you can have this website for your own posting privileges. I will happily go away, so you can shove it! And by the way, I hate Keselowski’s guts, always have, and always will, especially now that he has pulled the greatest con-job with his “alleged” injured ankle!
boy,that ken guy has a real problem, talking about the guy who got the last laugh on kyle an brad!!!!
Wow! Name-calling to the nth degree. Why don’t you folks just say what you mean?
Why doesn’t this column just go away—there’s nothing funny here—never is.
I guess, though, if it did, Ken and Esther wouldn’t have anything to go at it about. Maybe they should be put in a cage together & let them have a hair-pulling match like a certain crew chief a couple of weeks ago.
While I’m at it, Ken’s remarks here are some of the most vile I’ve read in a long time.
Ken said he’s going away for a while; that’s for the best, I think. Maybe he’ll calm down a bit before he comes back.
I have to agree that this one really got someone hot under the collar. Unfortunately, I can completely understand where Ken is coming from, especially since I too am Canadian. And he’s right, we are no longer known for our sense of humour, nor are we no longer known for being a friendly and polite country. I blame that on our political shift from “Soft-Left (Liberal) to “Hard-Right” (Conservative). And I know all about people being mean and rude! After all, I live in the rudest, meanest city in the world (Toronto), and I myself have been described as a mean-spirited S.O.B. (just ask both my ex-wives, and half of my colleagues!). And Old farmer, you aren’t so “Lily-White” either! You’ve posted some pretty nasty things on this site’s comment boards! And Ken, I can understand how you were insulted at the list, particularly Item number 8. If I was an Edwards fan, I’d be insulted too! Heck, I know Matt is often referred to as a robot, so I took #10 with a grain of salt. But I thought #8 was a little personal too!
Here’s what these writers should do. Take a copy of this article and show it directly to Carl, and ask if he’s insulted, and report back the result. If Carl is ok with it, then maybe we can all get back to getting along (not that we ever did! Remember Susan, and Randy Goldman?) And if Carl himself is offended in any way, then the staff should print a retraction. How about that?
Want to comment on this article? Visit our Message Board!