Check in with Matt and Jay on their site at CareyandCoffey.com.
|Subscribe to The Frontstretch Newsletter|
Frontstretch Staff · Wednesday October 19, 2011
Hello, readers! Though we normally try to write our Top Ten lists to keep you chuckling, this week, we pause to remember Dan Wheldon. Our thoughts and prayers remain with his family, friends and everyone in the racing community after the tragedy that unfolded Sunday out in Las Vegas.
10. A Champion truly worthy.
9. The “Danica Who?” T-Shirts he had made when he won his first Indy 500 and she got the cover of SI instead.
8. Wheldon doing an interview on Wind Tunnel and suddenly a door opens and Kanaan, Franchitti, and Byran Herta — then his teammates — coming in and sitting down all around him wearing hats that said “Dan Fan.” Wheldon’s reaction when he saw them coming in? “Oh, I hate those guys.”
7. Robby Gordon as his one-time teammate at Indy messing up Wheldon’s locker every single day because it was too neat (he was OCD neat). That resulted in Wheldon having to completely fix it every single day as his other teammates watched and chuckled.
6. Taking cameras on a tour of his house, the highlight of which was his closet where all the shirts and pants were hung neatly, sorted by color and style and all the shoes were still in their boxes and stacked neatly, also sorted by color and style.
5. Trying to say what teams might do on pit stops when he was commentating this year and getting it wrong almost every single time and saying, “Now you know why I just drive the cars.”
4. His surprise win in this year’s Indy 500 driving for a small, one-off team.
3. His ever-present smile.
2. Pouring the milk over his head when he won the Indy 500 (both times) because he wanted to be different.
1. As a man who, while passionate about his chosen profession, was even more passionate about his wife and sons.
Folks, a simple list such as this cannot possibly encompass all that Dan meant to those who knew and loved him. While he was not in our little niche we call NASCAR, he was a racer, a title that transcends across all lines of motorsports. From all of us here at Frontstretch.com, we extend our thoughts and prayers to Dan’s family. Dan Wheldon will NOT be forgotten.
©2000 - 2008 Frontstretch Staff and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!
This is the best “Top 10” ever! Well done, and an excellent tribute to Mr. Weldon.
Good post. Hopefully a lot of people remember him for those light-hearted moments as well as his success in life and on track than what happened on Sunday.
“This is the best “Top 10” ever! Well done, and an excellent tribute to Mr. Wheldon.” X2
does anybody have a youtube video for the wind tunnel one (8)
I tried to find the Wind Tunnel interview on youtube last night and couldn’t. I found only a 2011 interview. If anyone else can find it I’d sure love to know about it!
Want to comment on this article? Visit our Message Board!