Check in with Matt and Jay on their site at CareyandCoffey.com.
|Subscribe to The Frontstretch Newsletter|
As the drama of the Jeremy Mayfield drug and lawsuit case drags on, more and more accusations are being tossed by NASCAR and the suspended driver at one another. The latest and most outrageous claim by witnesses on Mayfield’s behalf states that NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France actually called for Mayfield to receive a black flag during the 2006 Brickyard 400 – while he was drinking scotch. With that in mind, here are some unorthodox instances that Brian France called for different race flags.
10. Called for a yellow flag during the 2004 Daytona 500 because he had to pee while Tony Stewart was leading Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
9. Has been black-flagging the unsponsored, slower vehicles within the first 70 laps of every race since the beginning of last season.
8. Threw red flag on I-95 to clear traffic for his Lexus in Daytona, because he owns that town.
7. Black flagged Sam Hornish, Jr. at Texas Motor Speedway last fall for daring to race Chase driver Jimmie Johnson hard and causing his wreck.
6. Called for flag man to wave the checkers early last Sunday, so he wouldn’t miss much of the 4:00 p.m. NFL games. The flag man didn’t get the message.
5. Assessed pit road speeding violations to any driver that has ever praised a Bruton Smith racetrack, listened to PRN, complained about debris cautions, or dogged on NASCAR.
4. Red flagged a race several years ago because he couldn’t hear a call on his Nextel over the roar of the engines.
3. Black flagged Jimmy Spencer for smoking a cigar in the racecar – and not offering him one.
2. Black flagged Carl Edwards for not causing any flames to come out of Brad Keselowski’s car when he went airborne at Atlanta Motor Speedway in March.
1. Waved the white flag at his ex-wife’s divorce lawyers after all of these allegations arose.
©2000 - 2008 Doug Turnbull and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!
#8 made me chuckle.
5b Assessed violations against all teams not Hendrick to keep the money rolling in.
Continuation of 1: and refused to pay any money to ex-wife.
Nice ones Doug.
What’s with the caption?