Check in with Matt and Jay on their site at CareyandCoffey.com.
|Subscribe to The Frontstretch Newsletter|
Jeff Meyer · Wednesday February 6, 2008
Editor’s Note : Your Frontstretch favorite is back! The Top Ten returns in 2008, with its often satirical look at NASCAR life past, present, and future. This year, Voices From The Heartland columnist Jeff Meyer takes over the beat full-time — and as you can see, he pulls no punches with his first edition of ’08. The following quotes are all from Brian France’s Media Tour Press Conference in late January.
Top Ten Ridiculous Statements By Brian France in 2008 — In The Same Day!
10. “We certainly are proud we’ve been able to attract new fans virtually every year NASCAR has been in existence. But we’re also proud of those fans who have been with us for many decades.”
9. “I think what I hope you’ll take out of today is we’re getting back to the basics, we’re going to try to minimize the change going forward as best we can and focus on what we’ve always focused on, which is the best product in the world.”
8. “And while ratings are always going to fluctuate, we’re proud of the upward trend over the last decade.”
7. “Hendrick Motorsports, well, they’re on their way of being the New England Patriots on wheels.”
6. “We’re determined to make it stronger and maintain the intense commitment of our generations of loyal fans. We’ll continue to grow and evolve. We’ll always be mindful of our past.”
5. “â€¦we’re getting back to the basics, we’re going to try to minimize the change going forward.”
4. “Well, somebody once told me that you’re good at whatever you talk about being good at and you focus on. It starts with me. It starts at the top.”
3. “But on your way to making sure things don’t escalate, you want to be pretty stern with your penalties. There’s no question it can put a cloud or restrict, rather, the drivers expressing themselves. We want to see more of that.”
2. “What we want to focus on, what we want to talk about, most of our race fans, most of them could care less about any of the management moves or moves that we made. They may care in the end when we manage things correctly.”
1. “We’re also proud the very first NASCAR superspeedway, Darlington Raceway, is still on the schedule. Several years ago we took what was perceived as a gamble. We moved the Darlington spring race to Mother’s Day weekend. As it turned out, it wasn’t a gamble at all. It was a sure thing, thanks to the power of the Darlington tradition and the loyalty of our race fans.”
It’s that time of year again; are you ready to flip the ignition on another fantasy season? Well, Frontstretch holds the keys to start your dream team, with a long list of new games to go along with the return of our popular Game Of Tomorrow. SIGN UP NOW FOR OUR SEASON-LONG CHAMPIONSHIP by clicking here – it’s only $10 to play all four of our unique games you can’t find anywhere else. Succeed at them all, and you’ll have a chance to become the Ultimate Frontstretch Fantasy Player – winning the season-ending trophy and multitude of prizes that go with it!
Editor’s Note : Not subscribed to the Frontstretch newsletter yet? Click here to sign up and make the move so you’re all set to go for 2008!
©2000 - 2008 Jeff Meyer and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!
It’s not often you get to see that much BS in one place!
Just what are the “POT SMOKING” laws in Florida?This dude (Brian)is certainly on something!
I’ve asked it before, and I’ll ask it again. Is Brian France (The Clown errrr Crown Prince of NA$CAR) subject to the NA$CAR substance abuse policy? If not, he should be. Maybe he could settle down with Brittney Spears or Paris Hilton as they obviously have better minds than he does!
Well the off season did nothing to return any sanity to NASCAR. I agree he is a idiot!! Up staged only by his ego!
I can think of some great quotes to use right here – Patton, Jefferson, Madison, Grant…. but I think the one that fits the best is from my Dad….”…you really don’t expect me to belive that now do you…..” or even better…”…. son, you are so full of BS that your eyes are brown….”
He could peg it every time.
France is a joke, his tenure as the leader of NA$CAR has been a joke for the most part. And if it dosen’t get better, there just won’t be a NA$CAR.
When you don’t understand the significance of the Southern 500 at Darlington on Labor Day then you don’t have a clue!
What terrible unspeakable thing did the racers and fans do to Bill France to make him want to inflict his son on the sport of stock car racing ?
Hey Brian, Blah, blah, blah, blah…….. It’s FUBAR man and those of us who no longer buy tickets nor watch more than a handful of televised events any more are gone for good. Those empty Calif seats will continue to grow like fungus in the Amazon.
The quote by the great British mountaineer and general hell-raiser Don Whillans applies to Brian France:
“He couldn’t organize a f$ck in a brothel.”
Brian France is going to ruin NASCAR.
@ Brian France Sucks, too funny.
@ RayRay, he already has.
@ Jeff, glad you’re back.
So they moved Rockingham out west, and this is progress??? They still havn’t got rid of the top 35 guaranteed starting positions yet, surely he has a clue that what they got now don’t work, or maybe he isn’t that smart!!
When I hear Brian talk there’s an old saying that comes to mind, “If you can’t dazzle ‘em with brilliance then baffle them with BS!”. That about sums it up.
doesn’t that remind you of a speech by… oh, you know…
As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don’t know
We don’t know.
I’m a Republican just like France and Rumsfeld but my God, are those two brothers?
Does anyone else hear Charlie Brown’s teacher in this??? “Wa wa wa wa, wa wa, wa wa wa wa…” Maybe we should just say “Yes sir” and be good little fans…<Insert eye roll here>
Bravo, Jeff, as usual, you’ve pegged it. It’s knee deep and rising.
How could a spoiled brat,third generation,inherited Billionaire like Dopehead Brian France really give an honest crap about improving Nazicar and it’s fake “Shows”????
If France and Helton really want to give fans and drivers a better product, they can do it simply enough. The Dynamic Duo needs to schedule two meetings:
1: sit down with Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Rick Hendrick and Richard Childress and give each a sheet of paper and say, “Write down three things that we need to do to make a better product on the track. WE WILL IMPLIMENT YOUR SUGGESTIONS IMMEDIATELY.”
2: Have a meeting with Kyle Petty, Rusty Wallace, Darrell Waltrip, and a couple of others and give them sheets of paper and say, “What do we need to do to make the on-air product better and we WILL IMPLIMENT YOUR SUGGESTS IMMEDIATELY.”
Nascar needs to admit their heads have been up their butts for too long to actually know whats going on in broad daylight and they need to ask people who know.
Recent articles from Jeff Meyer:
Voices From The Cheap Seats: The Tale Of Two Tires
BSNews! Bruton’s Plans Extend Beyond Bristol’s Track
Top Ten Reasons Fans Failed To Show Up At Bristol Sunday
BSNews! NASCAR CEO Given "Special" Award Amidst Lavish Fanfare
Fan Coun-ci-What? Just What Is It That NASCAR Wants To Study?
Want to know more about Jeff Meyer or view his complete article archives? Then hop on over to his archive and bio page.