Voices From the Heartland · Jeff Meyer · Monday September 5, 2011
Remember a few months ago when I wrote about how my friend got so fed up with the stupid questions that the NASCAR Fan Council was asking that he renounced his membership? I wish he wouldn’t have done that! As it turns out, the NFC is asking even stupider questions now and I wish I had been there to read it in person.
It seems the NFC (ergo Brian France’s accountants) want to know how fans are planning to react to NASCAR’s full force ‘Danica’ blitz, scheduled to begin in earnest next year. In reality, the handlers of the NFC don’t really care HOW the fans react to their latest questions, for the results is always the same…”…the fans wanted this. We asked them!”
Here’s is a sampling of the latest questions: Is Danica good for the sport? Will you watch more races because of her? Are you tired of hearing about her in the media? Is she a good driver? Will she be a contender? Are female drivers good for the sport? Of course, those are not direct quoting of the actual questions, but that is the gist.
Really? These people don’t already know these answers? Dear God, how stupid do you have to be to be the ones running a corporation? Well here are the answers for you, as I’m sure, if anyone normal or sane could ever see the actual survey results would attest, that probably 90% of respondents are saying.
1. Is Danica good for the sport? NO! The sport is good for Danica and Danica’s bottom line, end of story. This sport survived how many years without Danica? The sport of racing will still be the sport of racing, even if Danica were to drop dead tomorrow. In fact, and I know I’m gonna catch a lot of crap for this…the sport would actually benefit more if something tragic were to happen to her. No, I’m not wishing ill will on anyone, I would never do that. My point is, even the founders of NASCAR have repeatedly pointed out over the years in order to maintain their dictatorship, that “no one man is bigger than the sport itself.” The sport (ergo NASCAR’s bottom line) only benefits when it loses a major figure.
I give you Dale Sr. as my number one example. Dale did an incalculable amount of good for the sport during his career. However, it was his untimely demise that shot this sport through the roof and changed it forever. If you don’t know what I mean you are either a very young person or a direct result of Dale’s death…the coveted ‘casual fan’.
2. Will you watch more races because of her? NO! My race watching habits will not change one bit. I, along with millions of others, will watch the first 30 or so laps, snooze and or generally not pay attention during the middle and tune back in for the final 30 or so laps. What more do you need to see?
3. Are you tired of hearing about her in the media? Oh God no! Please give us more, more more! (for those of you who do not have sarcasm in your area, the previous sentence is a prime example.)
Here is a bet for you…I bet that NASCAR will soooooo over-saturate everything with ‘Danica’ over the next two years that the ratings will drop to lows not even thought of as of yet. Hide and watch. They are too stupid not to.
4. Is she a good driver? In an Indy car she’s marginal. On the street in the real world…I doubt it. In NASCAR ….now THAT’S funny right there! I don’t care who you are!
5. Are female drivers good for the sport? Again, no one man is bigger than the sport…and that includes a wo-man. A person should be judged by their talent in a race car no matter what their gender may be. Unfortunately, in today’s NASCAR, talent has gone out the window for the most part. If you got money, a good agent and a good sponsor, you’re in whether you have talent or not. Now if you ad boobs to that…well heck, you’re in, baby!
6. Will she be a contender? This is a good question and I will answer it this way; I find it very, very ironic that the only person who has or will receive more publicity than Danica in the next two years is her owner, Dale Jr. Now there is one man who knows all about hype and disappointment.
Stay off the wall,
NEW YEAR? NEW NEWSLETTER. LOOKING FOR THE INFO YOU NEED ABOUT NASCAR IN 2013 – SENT RIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL INBOX?
Well, you’ve come to the right place. The Frontstretch Newsletter gives you more of the daily news, commentary, and racing features from your favorite writers you know and love. Don’t waste another minute – click here to sign up and get all the information you need. We’re here to make sure you stay informed … so make sure you jump on for the ride!
©2000 - 2008 Jeff Meyer and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!