Check in with Matt and Jay on their site at CareyandCoffey.com.
|Subscribe to The Frontstretch Newsletter|
Voices From the Heartland · Jeff Meyer · Monday September 5, 2011
Remember a few months ago when I wrote about how my friend got so fed up with the stupid questions that the NASCAR Fan Council was asking that he renounced his membership? I wish he wouldn’t have done that! As it turns out, the NFC is asking even stupider questions now and I wish I had been there to read it in person.
It seems the NFC (ergo Brian France’s accountants) want to know how fans are planning to react to NASCAR’s full force ‘Danica’ blitz, scheduled to begin in earnest next year. In reality, the handlers of the NFC don’t really care HOW the fans react to their latest questions, for the results is always the same…”…the fans wanted this. We asked them!”
Here’s is a sampling of the latest questions: Is Danica good for the sport? Will you watch more races because of her? Are you tired of hearing about her in the media? Is she a good driver? Will she be a contender? Are female drivers good for the sport? Of course, those are not direct quoting of the actual questions, but that is the gist.
Really? These people don’t already know these answers? Dear God, how stupid do you have to be to be the ones running a corporation? Well here are the answers for you, as I’m sure, if anyone normal or sane could ever see the actual survey results would attest, that probably 90% of respondents are saying.
1. Is Danica good for the sport? NO! The sport is good for Danica and Danica’s bottom line, end of story. This sport survived how many years without Danica? The sport of racing will still be the sport of racing, even if Danica were to drop dead tomorrow. In fact, and I know I’m gonna catch a lot of crap for this…the sport would actually benefit more if something tragic were to happen to her. No, I’m not wishing ill will on anyone, I would never do that. My point is, even the founders of NASCAR have repeatedly pointed out over the years in order to maintain their dictatorship, that “no one man is bigger than the sport itself.” The sport (ergo NASCAR’s bottom line) only benefits when it loses a major figure.
I give you Dale Sr. as my number one example. Dale did an incalculable amount of good for the sport during his career. However, it was his untimely demise that shot this sport through the roof and changed it forever. If you don’t know what I mean you are either a very young person or a direct result of Dale’s death…the coveted ‘casual fan’.
2. Will you watch more races because of her? NO! My race watching habits will not change one bit. I, along with millions of others, will watch the first 30 or so laps, snooze and or generally not pay attention during the middle and tune back in for the final 30 or so laps. What more do you need to see?
3. Are you tired of hearing about her in the media? Oh God no! Please give us more, more more! (for those of you who do not have sarcasm in your area, the previous sentence is a prime example.)
Here is a bet for you…I bet that NASCAR will soooooo over-saturate everything with ‘Danica’ over the next two years that the ratings will drop to lows not even thought of as of yet. Hide and watch. They are too stupid not to.
4. Is she a good driver? In an Indy car she’s marginal. On the street in the real world…I doubt it. In NASCAR ….now THAT’S funny right there! I don’t care who you are!
5. Are female drivers good for the sport? Again, no one man is bigger than the sport…and that includes a wo-man. A person should be judged by their talent in a race car no matter what their gender may be. Unfortunately, in today’s NASCAR, talent has gone out the window for the most part. If you got money, a good agent and a good sponsor, you’re in whether you have talent or not. Now if you ad boobs to that…well heck, you’re in, baby!
6. Will she be a contender? This is a good question and I will answer it this way; I find it very, very ironic that the only person who has or will receive more publicity than Danica in the next two years is her owner, Dale Jr. Now there is one man who knows all about hype and disappointment.
Stay off the wall,
©2000 - 2008 Jeff Meyer and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!
agree. all points.
You’re riling up a lot of people by telling the truth.
Gee, I didn’t know you liked Danica so much . . . .
Actually, she’s just another driver making a move to another kind of racing.
I’m not a great fan of hers, but she’s ok by me.
Don’t get your panties in a wad over her. Chill out & just let her race.
I think Kyle Petty was right when he addressed the hype issues of Danica. It needs to stop.If Dale Jr could deliver on NASCAR’s hype he’d be a 10-time champion by now. But as we’ve seen his performance has fallen way short of the hype NASCAR has put out there.
Once again NASCAR is betting the farm on this latest celebrity to save their bacon and pull the sport out of the malaise it’s in. If her performance matches what she’s done in IndyCar, expect to see more folks walking away from NASCAR. She didn’t live up to the hype there and she won’t live up to the hype in NASCAR.
Why stop with just Danica hype? I am totally bored with Brad’s “broken leg”. It was a serious sprain that usually creates a bone chip that reattaches itself and many football players play with one every week. I got one because of a bad landing skydiving, a motorcycle slide at Pocono and Lime Rock. They hurt but aren’t crippling. Or how about all the hype about the “closer” Harvick. Just 17 wins in 11 years and many of those “closers” were gas mileage races…..
Just saying there is a lot of hype in Nascar. Some deserved, but much of it not. And now we can add Danica to the mix.
Come on guy’s. we all know nascar is all about hype. always has been, always will be. Personally, I don’t think Dale sr’s demise shot this sport through the roof. Oh, it changed it forever, but not for the better. As for Danica… we all know this sport is all about the dollars, so the hype shouldn’t come as a surprise.
Strange that the media hypes Danica. Then they write piece after piece putting down the hype. WTH don’t they get a grip and act responsibly in the first place. In other words, the media is more dangerous to Nascar than Danica or any other driver or issue.
What’s most annoying is that Danica hasn’t really done anything to warrant all this attention. Yes, she’s a woman. BFD. There have been others, there will be more in the future. BFD.
Here’s a novel idea… why doesn’t NASCAR check out fan forums and read the comments to articles from Frontstretch to get a bead on what the fans want or don’t want. Since they seem to be so concerned with spending money – why pay for their own “questioning authority”? Oh yeah, they think they can control the outcome that way – like any of the fans believe the BS that NASCAR SAYS the fans want! Sorry – I know I’m preaching to the choir, but honestly it gets harder and harder to watch a race with all the crap they keep throwing at the fans…
Recent articles from Jeff Meyer:
Voices From The Cheap Seats: The Tale Of Two Tires
BSNews! Bruton’s Plans Extend Beyond Bristol’s Track
Top Ten Reasons Fans Failed To Show Up At Bristol Sunday
BSNews! NASCAR CEO Given "Special" Award Amidst Lavish Fanfare
Fan Coun-ci-What? Just What Is It That NASCAR Wants To Study?
Want to know more about Jeff Meyer or view his complete article archives? Then hop on over to his archive and bio page.