About Us
Links
Stats
Chat Room
Submit PR
Contact Us
Staff

Driver Diaries

Subscribe to The FRONTSTRETCH Newsletter
If you're not getting the Frontstretch Newsletter , You're missing:

Unique Content
Trivia
Breaking News
More Features
Article Links
Reader's Comments

 

NASCAR All-Star Race Remains Intact

Jeff Myer, Nikki Krone & Kim DeHaven

February 25, 2004
Send Page To a Friend

 

With a new season comes change. With a new series’ sponsor comes A LOT of change. Gone from NASCAR is the traditional preseason preview and Miss Winston, but Nextel presented fans with the “Daytona Fan Fest” to satisfy their desire to see their favorite drivers one-on-one. NASCAR has also introduced the new 26/10 championship race, which has left an unfavorable impression among many fans and drivers alike. All of that led to some worry about what changes would come to the “All-Star” race (previously known as “The Winston”).


On Tuesday, at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, NASCAR and Nextel officials, along with Rusty Wallace and LMS President Humpy Wheeler, were on hand to announce the specifics about the 2004 “NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge.” Fans who may have been concerned about changes will be happy to know that the event will generally remain as it was in 2003.


Lowe’s Motor Speedway will again host the event, which has its 20th running on May 22nd. The race has been held at LMS every year since its inception, with the exception of 1986, when it was held at Atlanta Motor Speedway. There has been talk about moving the event to different tracks every year, but because Charlotte is the “home base” for the majority of team, and because the “Coca Cola 600” is usually held the following weekend, many aren’t to happy about the idea. Wheeler promises to make this year’s event exciting, in hopes of convincing NASCAR to leave it be.
 

“No other all-star event in professional sports has produced the drama and excitement this event has for nearly two decades,” said H.A. “Humpy” Wheeler. “Serving as the home venue for this event, we have worked hard to build equity and making the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge a real fan favorite. We have some things up our sleeve to make the 20th edition bigger and better than ever.”
 

The night will begin with the Nextel Open, a two-segment (20 laps/10 laps) preliminary event for teams who have competed, but not won, during 2003 or 2004. The winner of the Nextel Open will move on to the next event.


Following the Open will be the main event, the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge. Along with the winner of the Open, there will be a minimum of 20 cars and drivers who meet one (or in some cases more) of the following criteria: (1) Drivers and car owners who have won races in either 2003 or 2004; (2) Active drivers who have won the championship of NASCAR’s premier series; and/or (3) Active NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series drivers who have won the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge.


The race itself will consist of three segments totaling 90 laps/135 miles around the 1.5-mile Lowe’s Motor Speedway track. In the initial 40-lap segment the top 20 finishers then advance to the next segment. The second segment is a 30-lap sprint in which the top 14 finishers move to the third and final 20-lap segment.


Once again, fans will get a chance to put their mark on the event. Fans will be able to vote on the number of cars to be inverted (from three to 10 cars) for the final 20-lap segment.


One thing that has changed this year is the prize money, and it’s a definite benefit for the teams. The total purse has gone up $225,000 from 2003, to $4,095,000. The winner will receive $1 million.


"The NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge is a marquee event for Nextel," said Michael Robichaud, senior director of sports and entertainment marketing for Nextel, the title sponsor of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. "It has been one of the most exciting events on the schedule since its inception because drivers aren’t competing for points – they race for pride and a check for $1 million. That format has created some of the sport’s greatest moments, which has made it a favorite for both drivers and fans.”


As of February 24th, there are currently 18 drivers eligible to participate in this year’s All-Star race. Michael Waltrip, Dale Jarrett, Matt Kenseth, Bobby Labonte, Ricky Craven, Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon, Joe Nemechek, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart, Robby Gordon, Greg Biffle, Kevin Harvick, Terry Labonte and Bill Elliott are all eligible by virtue of their 2003 or 2004 victories. Mark Martin is a past winner of this event and Rusty Wallace is a former Cup champion, which puts both of them in the show as well.


Joe and Rick Hendrick’s No. 25 entry (currently driven by Brian Vickers) and Ray Evernham’s No. 9 entry (currently driven by Kasey Kahne) are also eligible because of victories in 2003 and 2004. Currently, there is no word on whether or not Vickers and Kahne will run these vehicles in the event.


The race can be seen live on Saturday, May 22nd, beginning at 7:00 P.M. EST, with live coverage on FX.

 

Want to comment on this article? Visit out message board.

Copyright, 2004, Frontstretch Enterprises, LLC.

You can e-mail Jeff at jeff@frontstretch.com.


 

 

Frontstretch.com and The Frontstretch Newsletter are both owned and operated by Butch Bellah.
See a problem with the site? E-mail webmaster@frontstretch.com
Advertising FrontstretchAds@aol.com
All original material is copyright © Frontstretch Enterprises, LLC 2000-2004
Website designed by Jill Kolsrud
NASCAR® is a registered trademark owned by National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. The operator of this website is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by NASCAR®. The Official NASCAR® website is at http://www.nascar.com/