Check in with Matt and Jay on their site at CareyandCoffey.com.
|Subscribe to The Frontstretch Newsletter|
Tuesday October 21, 2008
Cat Racing/Dave Blaney Event Preview
Atlanta Motor Speedway
Pep Boys Auto 500
Atlanta Motor Speedway Notes
· Atlanta’s Camry…The No. 22 Bill Davis Racing team plans to utilize chassis No. 33 for the Pep Boys Auto 500 this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway. This car has been raced on two prior occasions this season, including the spring race at AMS and the most recent event at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway.
· Blaney’s Career Stats…This weekend marks a milestone in Dave Blaney’s career as he will make his 300th career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start when the green flag waves Sunday afternoon. He made his first Cup Series start in October 1992 at [Rockingham] North Carolina Speedway driving for owner Stan Hover and finished 37th (qualified seventh) in his first Cup Series start in Atlanta in 1999. Like this weekend, Blaney was aboard a BDR-owned machine.
· Blaney at AMS…Blaney counts Atlanta among his favorite tracks to race on, and he has made 17 Cup Series starts at the 1.54-mile speedway during his career. Blaney has started as high as third (2001) and finished as high as eighth (2003 and 2005). He has scored two top-10 finishes in Cup Series competition at the speedway and has qualified inside the top 10 six times.
· BDR at AMS…Competitors driving Bill Davis Racing-owned cars have been racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway since 1993 and have made 45 starts. Those drivers have posted three top-five finishes and seven top-10 finishes at the Hampton, Ga., track.
· Back to the Dirt…Blaney will join Bill Elliott, Ken Schrader, Kasey Kahne and Tony Stewart Saturday night for the “Bill Elliott 50 Red Dirt Dash” at Dixie Speedway in Woodstock, Ga. Blaney will be behind the wheel of a Late Model for the charity event on the 3/8-mile dirt track.
· The Birthday Boys…Both Blaney and Crew Chief Tommy Baldwin will celebrate birthdays in the upcoming days. Blaney will celebrate on Friday, Oct. 24, and Baldwin will turn 42 on Monday, Oct. 27.
· Watch and Listen…Qualifying for the event is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. ET, Friday, Oct. 24. The 325-lap race is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. ET, Sunday, Oct. 26, and will broadcast LIVE on ABC (TV), PRN (radio) and Sirius Satellite Radio.
Blaney’s Thoughts on the Pep Boys Auto 500…“I’ve always like racing in Atlanta. It’s a great track – wide and fast and fun – but we’ve struggled a bit the last couple of times we’ve been there, so that has been a little disappointing for us. All the same, we think the baseline setup we’ve got for our Caterpillar Toyota this weekend should be pretty good. We tested at Nashville last week to get ready for this race and we’re hopeful we can get ourselves a good finish.”
This report was provided by an outside PR source and posted by Kim DeHaven.
©2000 - 2008 Kim DeHaven and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!