Monday August 6, 2012
Whelen Southern Modified Tour Points Leader Registers Strutmasters.com 199 Victory
A winner nearly everywhere he has gone in his distinguished NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour career, two-time champion George Brunnhoelzl III was missing one notable notch on his belt: Bowman Gray Stadium. On Saturday in the Strutmasters.com 199, that notch was carved out.
Brunnhoelzl, from West Babylon, N.Y., took the lead from polesitter and five time Bowman Gray track champion Burt Myers on Lap 26 and held on through nine restarts – including a green-white-checker finish – for his first win in five tries at the famed quarter mile.
Tim Brown crossed the finish line second and Cole Powell joined him on the podium in third. Jason Myers and Andy Seuss completed the top five.
Kyle Ebersole, Frank Fleming, Mike Norman, Burt Myers and Danny Bohn brought home the top 10.
The victory was the fourth in six races this year for Brunnhoelzl, the 2009 and 2011 titlist in the Whelen Southern Modified Tour. He also extended his own record for career tour wins to 15.
The win did not come easy for Brunnhoelzl, however. Not only did he have to weather those restarts, but he had to hold off Burt Myers and Ryan Preece, who waged a battle throughout the event for the second position. Preece and Myers tangled on Lap 194 to bring out the final caution of the night, an event-record 12th yellow. Myers getting the worst of it at the time, but Preece later got tied up with Seuss coming out of Turn 4 toward the checkers.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to action with the fourth annual UNOH Perfect Storm 150 combination event with the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway on Aug. 22.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Strutmasters.com 199 Results
At Bowman Gray Stadium
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., 204 laps, 37.340 mph.
2. (3) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, 204.
3. (22) Cole Powell, Mt. Brydges, Ontario, Canada, 204.
4. (4) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., 204.
5. (12) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., 204.
6. (11) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, PA, 204.
7. (7) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., 204.
8. (16) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, 204.
9. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, 204.
10. (13) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, 204.
11. (5) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., 203.
12. (21) Joe Scarbrough, Richmond, VA, 203.
13. (17) L W Miller, Dushore, PA, 201.
14. (20) Michael Speeney, Newtown, PA, 198.
15. (15) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, 185.
16. (6) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, 159, accident.
17. (8) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, Mass., 145, engine.
18. (14) Jonny Kievman, Deerfield Beach, Fla, 145, engine.
19. (24) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 89, electrical.
20. (25) Brian Weber, Coram, NY, 73, handling.
21. (19) Gary Putnam, Concord, NC, 72, engine.
22. (9) Brian Loftin, Lexington, NC, 56, engine.
23. (10) Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA, 56, suspension.
24. (23) AJ Winstead, Richmond, VA, 35, accident.
25. (18) Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, NC, 32, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 21 minutes 57 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.420 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B.Myers (68.234 mph, 13.19 seconds)
Caution Flags: 13 for 84 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Myers 1-25; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 26-204.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 267; 2. J. Myers, 222; 3. L. Miller, 221; 4. D. Bohn, 220; 5. T. Brown, 212; 6. B. Myers, 207; 7. B. Loftin, 201; 8. K. Ebersole, 201; 9. F. Fleming, 197; 10. A. Seuss, 190.
NEW YEAR? NEW NEWSLETTER. LOOKING FOR THE INFO YOU NEED ABOUT NASCAR IN 2013 – SENT RIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL INBOX?
Well, you’ve come to the right place. The Frontstretch Newsletter gives you more of the daily news, commentary, and racing features from your favorite writers you know and love. Don’t waste another minute – click here to sign up and get all the information you need. We’re here to make sure you stay informed … so make sure you jump on for the ride!
This report was provided by an outside PR source and posted by Mike Neff.
©2000 - 2008 Mike Neff and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!