Monday April 22, 2013
by Lance Jennings
YUMA, AZ – APRIL 21, 2013… In his first start at Yuma’s Cocopah Speedway, “The Demon” Damion Gardner of Concord, California won Friday’s Amsoil USAC/CRA Sprint Car main event. Gardner led all 30-laps to claim his series leading 42nd victory ahead of Nic Faas, Mike Spencer, Bud Kaeding, and “Chargin” Charles Davis Jr.
Piloting Mark Alexander’s #4A Scott Sales Company / Competition Suspension Inc. Spike, Damion Gardner was second fast in time trials, fourth in his heat race, and won the 6-lap dash. Starting from the pole position, the 2005 Champion powered to his first win of the year and first with Alexander. To date, Damion has one heat race victory, five top-5 finishes, and 30 feature laps led to his credit.
Gardner’s teammate, Huntington Beach, California’s Nic Faas ran second after starting fifth at Cocopah Speedway. Racing Mark Alexander’s #4 Scott Sales Company / Competition Suspension Inc. Spike, Faas earned his first Woodland Auto Display Fast Time Award of the year and broke his 1-lap track record. From there, the point leader was second in his heat race and claimed fifth in the 6-lap dash. Entering Saturday’s race, Nic has one feature win, one heat race victory, five top-5 finishes, and 7 feature laps led on the year.
Mike Spencer of Temecula, California finished third in the Friday Yuma feature. Driving Ron Chaffin’s #50 Grubstake Mini Storage / Madera Produce Maxim, Spencer qualified fourth, won the DJ Safety Heat Race #2, and scored third in the dash. The five-time champion has two Woodland Auto Display Fast Time Awards, two heat race victories, two top-5 finishes, and 7 feature laps led on the season.
Campbell, California’s Bud Kaeding took fourth at the checkered flags. Piloting the Junior Bowman owned #29 Ultimate Offroad / Buster & Ziggy Enterprises Maxim, Kaeding was third quick in time trials, fourth in his heat race, and fourth in the dash. The 3-time Oval Nationals Champion has two top-5 finishes in the campaign.
“Chargin” Charles Davis Jr. of Buckeye earned his second Keizer Wheels / Racing Optics “Hard Charger / Best Passing Job” honors with an fifth place run from fourteenth. Racing the Gerry Cook owned #4G Lucas Oil / RSS Industries entry, Davis qualified fourteenth and placed second in his heat race. Currently, the five-time Arizona Champion has two heat race victories and one top-5 finish on the season.
R.J. Johnson of Phoenix won his series leading fourth heat race by claiming the Extreme Mufflers Heat Race #1. Driving Bobby Martin’s #51 Weiler Farms / Pecon Builders Maxim, Johnson was fifth quick on the night and placed second in the dash. The second generation driver won the “Copper on Dirt” at Canyon Speedway Park and has 29 feature laps led on the year.
The Amsoil USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series would like to thank Hoosier Tire, BR Motorsports, Circle Track Performance, Competition Suspension Inc., DJ Safety, Diversified Machine Inc., Extreme Mufflers, Huntington Beach Glass & Mirror, Kaeding Performance, Keizer Wheels, King Racing Products, Racing Optics, Rod End Supply, Rugged Radios, SBI Fuel Systems, Saldana Racing Products, Weld Racing, and Woodland Auto Display for their support. If you or your company would like to become part of the series, email PR Director Lance Jennings at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the Amsoil USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series, visit www.usacracing.com/cra or follow the series on Facebook (www.facebook.com/pages/USAC-CRA-Sprint-Car-Series/167535183297971) or Twitter (www.twitter.com/#!/USAC_CRA).
AMSOIL USAC/CRA SPRINT CAR RACE RESULTS:
April 19, 2013 – Yuma, Arizona – Cocopah Speedway
WOODLAND AUTO DISPLAY TIME TRIALS:
1. Nic Faas, 4, Alexander-16.451 (New Track Record); 2. Damion Gardner, 4A, Alexander-16.673; 3. Bud Kaeding, 29, Bowman-17.008; 4. Mike Spencer, 50, Chaffin-17.058; 5. R.J. Johnson, 51, Martin-17.189; 6. Brody Roa, 91R, BR-17.269; 7. Cody Williams, 44, Jory-17.283; 8. Mike Martin, 16B, Marftin-17.340; 9. Seth Wilson, 1X, Wilson-17.348; 10. Matt Mitchell, 37, Mitchell-17.366; 11. Bob Ream, 8, BRAT-17.415; 12. Matt Rossi, 02, Rossi-17.430; 13. Austin Williams, 2, Jory-17.516; 14. Charles Davis Jr., 4G, Cook-17.549; 15. David Bezio, 37X, Bezio-17.596; 16. A.J. Bender, 21, Bender-17.658; 17. Rip Williams, 3, Jory-NT; 18. A.J. Bender, 12, Bender-NT.
EXTREME MUFFLERS HEAT RACE 1: (8 laps)
1. R.J. Johnson, 2. Nic Faas, 3. Cody Williams, 4. Bud Kaeding, 5. Austin Williams, 6. David Bezio, 7. Bob Ream Jr., 8. Seth Wilson. NT
DJ SAFETY HEAT RACE 2: (8 laps)
1. Mike Spencer, 2. Charles Davis Jr., 3. Matt Rossi, 4. Damion Gardner, 5. Mike Martin, 6. Brody Roa, 7. Matt Mitchell, 8. A.J. Bender. NT
DASH: (6 laps)
1. Damion Gardner, 2. R.J. Johnson, 3. Mike Spencer, 4. Bud Kaeding, 5. Nic Faas, 6. Cody Williams. NT
FEATURE: (30 laps – With Starting Positions)
1. Damion Gardner (1st), 2. Nic Faas (5th), 3. Mike Spencer (3rd), 4. Bud Kaeding (4th), 5. Charles Davis Jr. (14th), 6. R.J. Johnson (2nd), 7. Cody Williams (6th), 8. Brody Roa (7th), 9. Mike Martin (8th), 10. Matt Mitchell (10th), 11. Austin Williams (13th), 12. Bob Ream Jr. (11th), 13. David Bezio (15th), 14. Matt Rossi (12th), 15. A.J. Bender (#12 – 16th), 16. Seth Wilson (9th). NT
**A.J. Bender flipped during the second heat. **Matt Rossi flipped during the feature.
FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-30 Damion Gardner.
KEIZER WHEELS / RACING OPTICS HARD CHARGER: Charles Davis Jr. (14th to 5th)
This report was provided by an outside PR source and posted by Mike Neff.
©2000 - 2008 Mike Neff and Frontstetch.com. Thanks for visiting the Frontstretch!