10. Headline (HL) – Jeff Gordon and Ingrid Vanderbosch wed on November 7th in a private ceremony in Mexico.
Rest of the story (ROTS) – Gordon chose not to wait until season’s end to avoid having the same anniversary, November 26th, as his ill-fated first marriage to Brooke Sealey.
9. HL – Robby Gordon will switch to Ford Fusions in 2007 with the signing of a manufacturer agreement between Ford Racing and Gordon’s company Robby Gordon Motorsports.
ROTS – Gordon exhausted this season’s sheet metal budget by race 10 and was forced to search for a new supplier.
8. HL – Matt Borland, crew chief for Ryan Newman, is taking “some personal time off,” and will sit out the remainder of the 2006 Nextel Cup season.
ROTS – Borland reportedly failed to calculate pi to the 100th decimal point and was voted off of the team by the rest of the geek engineers.
7. HL – While appointing Kurt Busch as an Honorary Deputy in Maricopa County, Sheriff Joe Arpaio accidently called Busch by his younger brother’s name.
ROTS – Afterwards, Arpaio told one of his deputies, “Crap, I thought we were giving this to Kyle Busch, not that *&*#$^&^^%%^)
6. HL – Michael Waltrip does not renew sponsorship deal with Just for Men hair coloring.
ROTS – Contract reportedly included unlimited supply of hair coloring. Waltrip’s demand forced the company to report a net loss during the race season for the last two years.
5. HL – The proposed merger with Red Sox owner John Henry’s Fenway Sports Group and Roush Racing is proceeding nicely, and if the deal is completed it should be by early February.
ROTS – Red Sox team executives recognize they can purchase an entire NASCAR team for the price of David Ortiz’s five-year contract.
4. HL – Per Kevin Harvick‘s request, Craig Carione will not lose his job at Evernham Motorsports for the post-race altercation at Texas Motor Speedway.
ROTS – That way, Harvick will know where to find Carione to kick his ass in private…without being fined by NASCAR.
3. HL – Roush Racing has signed former Truck Series champion Travis Kvapil to pilot the No. 6 Ford in the Craftsman Truck Series in 2007.
ROTS – Roush was reported as saying, “Kvapil is a former champion and a fierce competitor, unlike that Jamie Whats-his-Name I hired for the No. 26 Cup car.”
2. HL – Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates will enter Juan Pablo Montoya in the Ford 400 qualifying field this weekend at Homestead.
ROTS – Montoya reportedly told Chip Ganassi to put him in a Cup car, or he would, “keek yoor farging ahhss, you eediot.”
1. HL – According to a Daytona Beach police report, Brian France crashed his Lexus four-door sedan into a tree just outside his condominium on Marina Point Drive. France told police he was drinking a Coke and driving when he “bumped something” and the drink spilled in his car.
ROTS – In an effort to score more Coke points, Mark Martin was drinking one on France’s dashboard, and by golly – just like the half of the Chase races – he got in ANOTHER wreck not of his making!