Editor’s Note: Are you STILL not getting the Frontstretch newsletter? Shame on you for not jumping on the bandwagon for something that gets delivered FREE, right to your inbox. Well, we figured we’d throw a little bone your way and let you in on what you’re missing. What follows is a special edition of Power Rankings, a weekly column that appears in the newsletter each Wednesday. If you like what you read, don’t hesitate to click here to sign up for the newsletter, because it’s the only way you’ll be able to find this newest Frontstretch feature each and every week!
Fix ‘Er Up – Frontstretch Editors’ Nextel Cup Power Rankings
As of September 26th, 2007
1) Tony Stewart (Four First-Place Votes) (Last Week: #1) – Home Depot wants us to smell the Smoke. Bet they won’t put THAT slogan in Tony’s armpits!
2) Carl Edwards (One First-Place Vote) (Last Week: #8) Uh-oh… Roush found out all of the dirty CoT secrets Hendrick had! And it’s not too late for them to join the party at the top with Cousin Carl… even if it cost them 25 points in the process.
3) Jeff Gordon (Two First-Place Votes) (Last Week: #4) Would have expected a better showing from the point leader in DuPont’s neck of the woods (Delaware).
4) Jimmie Johnson (Last Week: #2) Only four points out despite a blown tire and two lost laps. But Chad still won’t let him use the screwdriver.
5) Kyle Busch (Last Week: #6) If only we could have the magical powers to get people running in front of US to pull over…
6) Clint Bowyer (Last Week: #3) Could get a gig as Sam The Eagle’s stunt double if this racing thing doesn’t work out.
7) Martin Truex Jr. (Last Week: #5) Must feel like he threw one away Sunday after the way the No. 1 car dominated back in June.
8) (tie) Casey Mears (Last Week: NR) Would have had a top-five finish if possible team directives hadn’t trumped him – on the bright side, at least he doesn’t have to listen to Busch whining all week at the office.
8) (tie) Jeff Burton (Last Week: NR) Inside scoop: Burton sandbagging due to fear sponsor overexposure could get AT&T logos removed again. Childress considering ripping off logos on car to regain team’s motivation.
10) Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Last Week: NR) Just look at what can happen when your engine doesn’t blow! A couple more finishes and Junior might actually win one of these things.
Who Voted: Tom Bowles, Managing Editor; Toni Montgomery, Senior Editor; Amy Henderson, Assistant Editor; Kim DeHaven, Public Relations Coordinator; Cami Starr, Fantasy Racing Editor; Matt Taliaferro, AthlonSports.com Racing Editor.