Editor’s Note: In our ongoing quest to make our site bigger and better, Frontstretch is proud to expand our power rankings to a full website feature. We do our rankings similar to the Associated Press for basketball and football… each staff member that votes ranks the drivers on a 20-19-18-17-16-15-14… 3-2-1 basis, with the first-place driver scoring 20 points, second place 19, etc. Then, Senior Writer Mike Neff compiles the votes, adds some one-liners, and – voila! – you have a full-cooked recipe of power ranking delight.
So, enjoy it… the Top 15 vote-getting drivers for this Wednesday and every Wednesday during the full 2008 season.
|2008 Frontstretch Preseason Power Rankings|
|1||Jeff Gordon (2)||134||–|
|2||Jimmie Johnson (5)||130||–|
|5||Dale Earnhardt Jr.||95||–|
|10||Martin Truex Jr.||72||–|
- Going for his record-tying seventh title in 2008… oops, sorry, wrong points system.
- The champion last year, the same team members this year… but three straight won’t be easy.
- Is “shut up and drive” Tony’s new mantra? Judging by recent comments, it is. And that’s too bad.
- Perhaps the most consistent driver on the track who rarely lets any distractions bother him. Case in point? Expect Kenseth to reach Bristol before he notices that he has a new crew chief.
- What’s the over/under on the amount of times Dale “accidentally” tries to get into Kasey Kahne‘s car this year?
- We’ll see if a contract year motivates Edwards the same way it does for NFL players.
- He’ll win more this year… just not finish as high in the points.
- Gets to use the iPhone one more year… at his age, he better use it to find himself a sponsor.
- Roger Penske owes Jimmy Fennig a steak dinner for that past champion’s provisional.
- Still scratching his head as to why no one reported his winning Dover trophy was removed from the DEI shop to make room for the press.
- Ready to prove Hendrick wrong with a vengeance… and he’s got the equipment to do it, too.
- Expect this team to tweak their strategy from last year, which was “get all the points you can in the beginning and take the rest of the year off.”
- There is no way the sucking out loud tour can continue for him past this year.
- With his contract expiring, Newman hopes to generate the same excitement over his plans for next year that Dale Jr. had in 2007… alright, maybe that was our lame attempt at trying to be funnier than the Top 10.
- Got a nice reward this offseason by being promoted to a team that finished in the top five in points. Now, can Casey keep that momentum going…
Also Receiving Votes: Juan Pablo Montoya 22.