10. Brian France could disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow and no one would notice. Well OK, we would notice because someone with some competence would be running the show. However, this guy has been here five years now and still, every time he speaks or appears in public, you are left with a profound sense of waste. This guy is not bright enough to tie the laces on his loafers. Oh, that’s right; loafers don’t have laces!
9. The ban on testing will not save the teams one bit of money. As it has been pointed out on this site before, the teams that could afford testing will spend it some other (possibly more expensive) way. The teams that couldn’t afford massive testing, well, they ain’t got the money to save anyway and are only hurt further.
8. Earnhardt Ganassi Racing. This is either the start of something better than either had by themselves – OR – a massive train wreck waiting to happen. DEI was a once proud and formidable contender in the Cup garage that has become nothing more than an “also ran.” Chip Ganassi Racing, which never really was anything super special in the Series, also seems to have a super fast revolving door when it comes to personnel. Me, I’m standing aside and betting on the train wreck.
7. Sponsors and NASCAR. If NASCAR truly wanted to help the teams, they would put a “freeze” on any company becoming the “official” anything of NASCAR. They should direct them instead to various teams that need help. Stop stealing the limited dollars that are out there. NASCAR is NOT losing money. They are just not making as big of PROFIT as in the past. They should facilitate the union of struggling teams and companies that want to invest. Brian even has a company to make a profit from that, too… it is called Brand Sense. Look it up.
5. Regan Smith got screwed! I still say Smith was forced below the yellow line by Tony Stewart at Talladega, robbing him of his first victory. If that weren’t enough, Smith was named Rookie of the Year for 2008 and still has no set car to drive in ’09! Here’s hoping his current contract allowed him to keep all the prize monies for the ROTY award so at least he won’t go hungry.
4. My “Best T-shirt I’ve Seen at a Race” award goes out to an unknown fan at the Nationwide race in St. Louis. It simply read – “Kyle Busch Sucks”! This guy got more cheers than Kyle gets boos every time he came back to the stands with a beverage!
3. Johnson is no Cale Yarborough. Yes, J.J. and Chad are very good. There is no denying what they have done. However, when a sport has changed the point system as drastically as NASCAR has, it’s like saying the ’07 Patriots were better than the ’72 Dolphins simply because they won more games!
2. Thank you, Dale Jarrett, for being my NASCAR hero for all these years. If you thought Stewart got a bit teary eyed last Sunday, you should have seen me during the spring Bristol race!
1. The best thing about the whole 2008 season? Meeting a very special and beautiful Canadian nurse whose favorite driver is the same as mine! At least that will cut down on future arguments on Sunday afternoon as to whose driver is best! Thank you, NASCAR!
Also, a HUGE THANK YOU must go out to all the faithful readers of the Top 10! Whether you agreed with my lists this last year or not, you kept on coming back. I hope it has been entertaining. Thank you very much!
A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.