New Jersey resident Kurt Smith has been to Delaware at least three times, and he has even on occasion found time to attend a race in Dover! Today he shares his travel knowledge of the First State with you Frontstretch readers who may just be witnessing an event at the Monster Mile this weekend, and sends apologies to Delaware’s Chamber of Commerce (if there is one)….
10. Wait for autographs after the race.
9. Get a track pass and lay down backwards on the high banking to induce vomiting.
8. Really, there is other stuff, just give me a minute….
7. The casinos at Dover International Speedway. It’s not like you need money for much else.
6. Oh yeah! The Polar Bear Plunge in Rehoboth Beach, where people (including this writer) walk the fine line between brave and stupid, risking hypothermia to benefit the Special Olympics.
5. The Wilmington Blue Rocks – check out minor league stars who may someday become Kansas City Royals and earn slightly better name recognition!
4. The City of Dover is home to the famous Cliffs of Dover. OK I’m sorry, that’s BS; Dover really just has crime and traffic, in case you’re into that kind of thing.
3. Make the locals feel better by complimenting them on their nice speedway.
2. The Punkin Chunkin in Sussex County, where pumpkins are launched from different devices (OK, I know I started this list in the interest of humor, but is Delaware really THAT tame?).
1. Tax-free shopping! (At least there’s a reason for New Jersey folks to visit).