NASCAR announced on Wednesday that Kurt Busch’s indefinite suspension has been lifted.
Busch has been suspended since Feb. 20 after allegedly committing an act of domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend.
Criminal charges were not filed, as announced by the Delaware Attorney General’s office last week.
According to a NASCAR press release, Busch “is eligible to return to NASCAR racing under indefinite probation subject to additional mandatory requirements that include but are not limited to participation in a treatment program and full compliance with any judicial requirements placed upon him.”
The decision was made by NASCAR following the decision by the Delaware Attorney General’s office and Busch’s completion of all requirements in NASCAR’s reinstatement program. This included completion of mandatory behavioral assessment sessions and the recommendation of a behavioral health care expert that Busch be allowed to participate in NASCAR races.
According to the release, Busch will “undergo additional steps to address the behavior for which he was penalized.”
Busch will return to the seat this weekend for the CampingWorld.com 500 at Phoenix International Raceway. Regan Smith, who has been substituting for Busch, was initially on the entry list for this weekend’s race. Busch will have zero championship points.
Chevrolet, the manufacturer which normally backs the No. 41, had previously announced that they have suspended their relationship with Kurt Busch due to NASCAR’S suspension of Busch. Jim Campbell, Chevrolet Vice President of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports, had previously said in a statement that Chevrolet “will continue to monitor all aspects of this situation.”
In addition to lifting the suspension, NASCAR has granted Busch a Chase waiver, which would allow Busch to make the Chase for the Sprint Cup assuming he meets the remaining requirements to qualify.
“[Busch] has fully complied with our reinstatement program during his suspension and the health care expert who conducted his evaluation recommended his immediate return,” Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vp and chief racing development officer, said. “We have made it very clear to Kurt Busch our expectations for him moving forward, which includes participation in a treatment program and full compliance with all judicial requirements as a result of his off-track behavior.”
A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.