Oliver Askew has withdrawn from the IndyCar Harvest Grand Prix doubleheader at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and Helio Castroneves will be the replacement driver, after Askew was declared medically unable to compete by the NTT IndyCar Series medical staff, Arrow McLaren SP announced Sept. 24.
Following the race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Askew reported a balance and coordination issue. In an examination with the IndyCar medical staff, he was ruled medically unable to compete.
“This was an incredibly tough call but I have to follow the advice of the IndyCar Medical Team and my doctors,” Askew said in a team release. “My priority right now is focusing on my health. Despite not being in the car, I will be at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Harvest GP, giving whatever insight and support to Arrow McLaren SP that I can.”
In 11 starts, the 23-year-old Askew has one podium finish, a third-place finish in the fifth race of the season at Iowa Speedway.
Castroneves will make his second start of this season, as he previously competed in the Indianapolis 500.
“First and foremost, we wish Oliver the best and that he is able to take time to recover,” Castroneves said. “I look forward to getting back on track and helping to build on the great progress that Arrow McLaren SP has made this year.”
The 45-year-old Castroneves has made six starts at the Indy road course and he has two podium finishes.
The doubleheader at the Indy road course will take place on Friday, Oct. 2 at 3:30 p.m. ET, with TV coverage provided by USA Network, and Saturday, Oct. 3 at 2:30 p.m. ET, with TV coverage provided by NBC.