The report was first released in May from Motorsport.com and stated Keselowski was offered the opportunity to become co-owner and drive the No. 6 car for the team in the NASCAR Cup Series starting next season.
SBJ, citing sources not named, said RFR “informed its partners that it has a done deal” with Keselowski, while FOX Sports’ unnamed sources confirmed the news.
.@RoushFenway has told partners that it has a done deal with @Keselowski to become driver and co-owner starting in 2022, per sources, though it has held off on announcing in deference to @Team_Penske.
— Adam Stern (@A_S12) June 25, 2021
— FOX: NASCAR (@NASCARONFOX) June 25, 2021
Keselowski’s current Team Penske teammate Ryan Blaney appeared to have confirmed the news on May 28 during a media availability after practice. “I didn’t hear anything about it until you all did,” Blaney said. “I wish him the best. It’s definitely a change. It’s exciting for him to become an owner again. It’s cool for him, so hopefully it works out good for him.”
The 2012 Cup Series champion has been with Penske in Cup since 2010 and has 35 career wins in the series. So far this season the No. 2 driver has a win at Talladega Superspeedway as well as five top fives; he currently sits 10th in the points standings.
Ryan Newman currently pilots the No. 6 car for RFR, earning one top five and three top 10s in 2021. He’s currently in his 17th full-time Cup season, earning 18 wins, 116 top fives and 266 total top 10 finishes. He told Pockrass last month that he “want(s) to continue racing.”
Neither team has officially announced the news. RFR has held off on making the announcement “out of respect to Team Penske,” Sports Business Journal said in its report.