After two years on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course in the NASCAR Cup Series, including this weekend, track owner Roger Penske says there’s a possibility the circuit could return to the oval in the future.
According to Frontstretch‘s Daniel McFadin, Penske said the Cup Series is expected to return to the road course for 2023, but beyond that, a move to the oval could be in the cards.
“We’ll be on a road road course,” Penske said. “… We’re looking at that to be honest with you. Do we alternate that year after year? We don’t know, but certainly something we’ve had some conversations (about). But next year, we’ll be on the road course.”
The Cup Series began racing on the Indy oval in 1994, contesting events through 2020. The series moved to the road course last year, with AJ Allmendinger winning the inaugural race.
The NASCAR Xfinity Series has been on the road course since 2020.
About the author
Rutherford is the managing editor of Frontstretch, a position he gained in 2015 after serving on the editing staff for two years. At his day job, he's a journalist covering music and rock charts at Billboard. He lives in New York City, but his heart is in Ohio -- you know, like that Hawthorne Heights song.
A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.